Saturday, February 27, 2010

1997-1998



Whenever I feel like I'm a loser and feel like my life is mundane and going nowhere, I sometimes look at this certificate to gain some perspective.

Hands down 1997-1998 was one of the best years of my life.

It marked the first time travelling abroad and travelling solo. I was shitting bricks on the 24 hr flight from LAX to Kotoka International Airport. Of all places why pick Ghana and why for a WHOLE year? Why couldn't I have gone to Spain or England or France, like normal people?

Living in Ghana was like a reality check. It was a slap in the face that I desperately needed to wake me from my sheltered western world coma. The physical environment was harsh, as well as dealing with the unsanitary conditions. Conveniences were taken for granted as the most basic necessities such as electricity and water were difficult to obtain. It was emotionally taxing seeing people who had absolutely nothing, yet they are the kindest most hospitable people you will ever meet. I got malaria, and it was the sickest I have ever been. I didn't think I was going to survive the year. But I did!

It was worth it though, the positive experiences outweighed the negative and how many people can say that they've been inducted in a secret society vodou ceremony?

Remembering this part of my life is like looking at the life of a stranger. Did I really do this or was this someone else? Sometimes I'm amazed and proud of this achievement but now and then sometimes I think I was a fried chicken short of a picnic.

Although, I am older and not as fool hardy as I used to be, I must have that adventurous spirit left in me somewhere. If I can do something like this back then, why not now?

The year 1997-1998 is evidence that I can do anything if I set my mind to it. As much as I belittle my life, it is far from mundane and boring as I sometimes falsely claim it to be. The truth is...If you want your life to change you're going to have to take some risks and have the courage to jump. That's the key.

1 comment:

Susan said...

What an incredible experience and an inspiring post!