Friday, May 29, 2009

Fatso Manifesto: Mindful Eating

Today marks the first week of my weight loss journey and...

Holy Crap! My jeans are already loose! These are the same jeans I bought a month ago. When I tried them on, I really had to suck in my gut to button them up. I was in tears that I still had to do this even though they were a size larger. Now, I can button them up without fainting. They are hella loose, so loose I can peel them off without unbuttoning or unfastening the zipper.

The weird thing is. I don't feel like I'm dieting. I'm grazing like a cow and I'm not counting calories. I'm CONSTANTLY eating throughout the day. I even have to remind myself that I need to eat sometimes. I'm eating small meals every 3 hours and I notice the better food choices I make, the more I can eat. So for a mid-day snack, instead of reaching for those mini-rolls, I eat a really big bowl of salad enough to feel satisfied.

My biggest hurdle this week was dealing with my carb cravings. I have the worst sweet tooth. Whenever I'd have these cravings, I eat fruit or drink a fruit smoothie or a chai vanilla latte (which is SO good that it doesn't need to be sweetened). This did the trick.

I've been drinking water like a fish! At least 8 glasses of water a day. I've also been drinking at least 2 cups of green tea a day. As a result, I've been peeing every 5 minutes. Most likely the pounds I've lost are water weight. (I have no idea how much I weigh now since I refuse to step on the scale and become obsessed with numbers.)

Exercising. I'm taking this slow since I've been sedentary. At least 30 minute walks rain or shine. For the past few days I upped the ante, and have worked out on Craig's stationary bike for 45 minutes.

I'm doing well with eating fresh food. (But boy is it expensive!) This week I've been on an Asian food kick and have been cooking Asian inspired meals for dinner such as...

Thai Lettuce Wrap with Peanut Sauce


Terriyaki Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry with Brown Rice


I also notice I feel as if I have a lot more energy now and my mood has lifted. Before I used to feel weighed down, slow and icky. For the first time in months, I feel really good about myself!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good work! Keep it up and keep it down!

Anonymous said...

i love when this happens. Losing those nasty pounds and u don't even notice it. Keep up the good work!