Monday, September 7, 2009

I Got My Career Assessment Results Back...

It says that I'm an Investigative, Social, and Artistic personality. I like to research theories related to people and help others develop their intellect through research and application of theory.

My top 5 areas of interest are:

1.Research
2.Medical Science
3.Social Science
4.Computer Hardware and Electronics
5.Culinary Arts

My top 10 strong occupations are:

1.Dietician
2.Forester
3.University Professor
4.Biologist
5.Computer Systems Analyst
6.Registered Nurse
7.Respiratory Therapist
8.Physician
9.Pharmacist
10.Speech Pathologist


Here's the funny thing, I've never taken any math or science courses in college (although I was very good at science when I was in high school). I got my degree in ethnomusicology and I worked for 10 years in marketing/fundraising, SALES happens to be the worst occupational fit for my personality, skills, and interests. No wonder I hated my job!

I found it interesting how my #1 occupation is a dietician since I love food, the healing properties of food, and food culture! LOL! I feel much more motivated now that I have an idea where my future is headed. I think a lot of my anxiety stems from fear of the unknown and I felt like I was spinning my wheels but I wasn't going anywhere in my career search. So if you are in the same boat as me and want to change careers or want to figure out what to do with your life, I highly recommend meeting with a career counselor. It's their job to help guide you in the right direction. They will help assess your skills and passions, and figure out which occupation is the best fit for you.

I meet with my career counselor this week to discuss my results and the next steps. I better get started on studying for my math placement test. Oi vey, it's been more than 10 years since I've taken a math course. How do you simplify an algebraic expression? What's the quadratic formula again?

2 comments:

foodhoe said...

this is good stuff. I am going thru a career crisis too... it scares me because I'm a cranky girl and really can't imagine working and going to school either. but I like this idea of seeing a career counselor, I just know I'm in the wrong occupation. you are giving me inspiration flippin yank! ps thanks for the linky love

Flippin' Yank said...

Hi foodhoe,

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I love your blog! You should have Anthony Bourdain's job!